Friday 25 November 2011

Making the asteroid field and background

For the bakground I used a geosphere. Instead of cutting it in half to make it a semi-sphere though, I kept it as a sphere because I knew I would be having the camera revolve around the spaceship and therefore looking in all directions. When I textured it I started by looking for a few different pictures of skymaps using google, and while this did find a few pictures that looked very good, when I put them onto the geosphere either the seams would show quite clearly, the stars were far to big or the tiling was very obvious. After trying a lot of sky maps I decided to draw my own one instead using photoshop, and as there arn't any distinguising features it means that the tiling isnt really noticable.

The skymap

With the asteroid field, I decided to do it differently to the one I did earlier in this module as I found out a way to make them faster and with more detail. The way I did this was put a geosphere onto the scene and then added a noise modifyer to it, and then to texture it I then found a rock texture and just put that on it. Due to the jagged edges caused by the noise filter the seams are not noticable.

After I had the 1 asteroid, I copied it a few times, changing the noise seed number and strength for each one. I then copied each new asteroid twice more and made the first copy of each asteroid bigger and the second copy smaller using the scale tool.


One of the asteroids

No comments:

Post a Comment